You can read the comment policy in full here, but I’ve updated it today. The basic ground rules are as follows:
- no ad hominem, meaning don’t attack someone– in the comments, me, a character in the post.
- no rape apologia. Ever.
- no threats of any kind. Ever.
- if your comment is a threat or rape apologia, you are instantly banned.
- corollary: nothing that makes me or my readers feel unsafe. I get to decide what that means, although if someone is making you feel unsafe and I haven’t stepped in, please let me know and I will do whatever necessary to correct that.
- Second corollary: this blog is a safe space for everyone, but especially marginalized groups. I believe in allowing everyone to have a voice and to have the ability to share opinions I disagree with, so I will tolerate sexism, racism, cissexism, homophobia, transphobia, ageism, and abelism to a degree. However, if your comments, over time, demonstrate a continued and persistent use of any of these, I reserve the right to ban you.
And now, the update: I will no longer publish comments that include links unless those links are directly related to the post and contribute to the discussion in a meaningful way.
I very rarely have problems, but I have the comment policy in place so that I can effectively deal with problems when they happen. I don’t believe that completely un-moderated spaces are safe or productive– and I think most (if not all) of you agree.